Sunday 11 October 2009

Onions - Radar & Garlic Albingensian Wight & Provence Wight

When I arrived at plot 121 today, I knew that I would have to rake over the last little bit that I left Derek on his lonesome to do yesterday, as I had to get home for 2pm, and this I did with a gusto!
I raked all the roots and stones out and once satisfied, I levelled or should I say, I tried to level the last section off with my rake before lending it to Mike on the plot opposite.

Then the planting started!

I broke the garlic bulbs open and counted 22 cloves of Albingensian Wight

 


I then did the same to the Provence and counted 15 cloves in all
A large white softneck garlic that can produce bulbs that approach Elephant Garlic size.
Originating in the lush valleys of the DrĂ´me in the north of Provence.
Large fat cloves that suit vegetable and fish dishses of the Mediterranean. Unlike many other Mediterranean types, responds well in the last three months before harvest.





So into the newly dug and raked soil they went, in the hope that the birds don't come along and want to play with them.



I then planted 9 full plot width rows or Radar White Onions

I thought it best to tag the end of each row with a brightly coloured marker, as last year I made the mistake of not doing that, and digging up a whole block that I had planted from seed!! 
Silly me!





**PLEASE NOTE THAT ALTHOUGH THE GARLIC STATED ABOVE CAME FROM THE GARLIC FARM ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT, IT WAS ACTUALLY PURCHASED FROM THE TRADING HUT - SO IF YOU LIVE LOCALLY POP IN AND BUY YOURS FROM THERE - YOU ONLY HAVE TO BE A MEMBER (£2 PER YEAR) TO BE ABLE MAKE PURCHASES FROM THE HUT - EASY!**