Saturday 28 February 2009

Chitting & Seeds


Yes, it's that time of year again & even though I am about 2 weeks behind this time last year, it's still February - so I just made it!!

I bought the potting compost from the Trading Hut (see www.srags.org.uk) and used last years trays and lids, which were all washed and ready to use!

So in went snack cucumbers, broccoli, onions, radishes, chilli & Tomatoes (Roma)
And as you can see - the first "batch" are on the window sill in their little propogators


So my fingers are crossed for the next two weeks that all goes well and they germinate -
Its such a tense time!


Ah - now I can explain.
We have run out of room you see, and the rooms with the non full sun windows are all in use, and although our family bathroom is also in the full sun, the bath area isn't, so this is the ideal spot.
It may seem a little eccentric, and I may be going a little lotty loopy as I really want to get going down there again but (a) I have to have patience and (b) my potatoes seem to be "chitting" just fine where they are.





All you have to do if you want a bath is take them out!


Space problem - SOLVED
Husband - understanding (phew)

This year I am going to try some different varieties:

1st Earlies = Accent
2nd Earlies = Kestrel
Mains = Desire & Cara

These seed potatoes were all bought from the trading hut and lovingly weighed and bagged by non other that Ron & Nigel, who I am sure must be SICK of the sight of potatoes by now!!

Today is Sunday the 1st March, and I a few hours I will be "on duty" again at the Lotty Shop.
Ok, so it's not officially my turn, but (a) the rota isn't ready and (b) I like to help out when I can, so I text Nigel with my offer of assistance last night and it was snapped up. I must remember to pick up some Sweet Pepper seeds - they are the only ones I have to get now.
So although I am not there working my plot as I need to wait for assistance, I am "there" helping.