Sunday 22 January 2012

My First Dig & Weed of 2012

As the weather was dry today, I decided to visit Plot 144 and get Digging & Weeding, however, as all allotmenteers know, if you say you are going to the allotment for an hour, you really need 2 so that you can get all the chatting in too, especially when the weather is favourable and more plot holders are on site!

So when I arrive I find a "Dalek" type composting bin by my wooden compost bins.  I was mine, once, but I gave it to a fellow plot holder as he was just starting out.  He happened to be there and told me that he didn't have a need for it any more, so I decided to put it to good use by putting anything new from kitchen scraps to weeds in there from now on, which meant that my current 2 composting bins - the wooden ones - could have a rest and the bits that are already in them will have a good chance to get on an make me some compost!


I then had to take all the kitchen scraps that I had put into the wooden composters and move them to their new  home


I then got to weeding the Garlic in the 1st raised bed.....


 And the onions next to that.....


And then I dug the patch next to that and weeded it at the same time



So a good 2 hours spent there today and a good third of my plot weeded and dug over!
Hooray


4 comments:

The Cookie Jar said...

I, haven't started to dig yet. the soil is still very wet. I got some onions durning the week so I hope to start working on clearing a raised bed for them in the next week or so.

Plot 42Eand 42W said...

Wow look a you with all that weeding I'm still trying to finish mine,I do most of mine on my hands and knees then dig it over once weeded.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments - we haven't had that much rain so digging it over with a fork, so more forking I suppose as I dug it before Xmas, was ok to do and weeding at the same time is not difficult when you are only 5ft!!

Rooko said...

Good effort with the weeding & digging. I managed to get most of my plots done last week when it was dry & windy. The rains back again this week so no digging?