Monday, 22 August 2011


I have decided to give my plot a make over!! Yes, I have been watching 60 minute make over for some time now and I have made that brave decision - to get rid of two of my big raised beds!!!

I am going to keep RB no.1 which is closest to the gate area as that will keep a nice "start" to the plot but I am going to get rid of no. 2 and no. 3 due to two factors 1. being deterioration of the wood used and 2. because I actually like the other half of the plot which is just neat rows.

Further more I will be giving up plot 121 this year, which is where I am currently growing loads of potatoes, and I have a scaffolding raised bed on there which I will bring up to 144 and place down the other end by the greenhouse / shed area.

So, today I thought it would be sensible to rake up the wood chip paths between the raised beds. So I raked and raked and raked and got a blister the size of a 20 pence piece on my thumb joint!!  I raked some more and spread these wood chippings (recycling) over my path that's by the fence and to the front area by the fence.

After that I had to chip away at the top level as this had been compacted down with all the walking up and down.  This was hard work as the ground is so dry, but I am hoping that the forecast rain, tons of it over the next few days, will help, so that's the reason I spent over 2 hours there today.

It's falling apart!!!

The top layer of wood chip has nearly gone

Just need the rain to come along to help now!!

Once the rain does it's thing, I will remove the wood sides and let the soil that is in the raised bed, tumble over and then I will have completed my "makeover".

Hey Presto.

More soon - promise.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Well done Ali - and hope the blister soon goes.