Sunday, 24 May 2009

Spring Bank Holiday Weekend


The allotment weekend for me started on Friday lunchtime, when I sneaked down to the plots with my very first Gnome who I called "Potty."
I bought Potty because of my disgust at hearing and reading that the Royal Horticultural Society have banned Gnomes from the Chelsea Flower Show.
Gomes are lovely little things and a feature in many a British Gardeners borders.

They brighten up a garden even on the dreariest and most gloomy of days, so I decided to protest and buy one of my own - he could be one of many more to come and is proudly guarding my shed and greenhouse. I have even started a gnome revolutionary front on Twitter - if you would like to join in my Twibe go to http://twibes.com/gnomes


Now to the hard work - Friday lunchtime was spent - yes - you've guessed it - weeding! The little buggers grow as fast as you can blink, and just as you thought you have hoe'd them all, more appear in thier place - it's not fair, as if a girl hasn't already got enought to do!!!

At least that was another job done - on top of watering the entire plot and the greenhouse, but I was ready, or better prepared for the weekend ahead now.

Saturday - I had Trading Hut duties to fulfill as Nigel asked me to cover because the volunteer already down for that morning was called away work wise, so I arrived at around 9am and popped into the sauna - oops, sorry I menat Greenhouse! Boy was it steaming in there. Although the auto vent was open I fully opened the louvre windows and left the door open wide to bring the temperature down. I also soaked the matting crossed my fingers that it did the trick.

I then did a mental inventory take of all the plants inside and decided what was going to brave the big wide open plot outside and what would stay put.

The Cherry Tomatoes that I have put into whale pots had grown so large, I hadn't realised that they tips were now touching the staging from below! So into the ground they went, alongside the Aubergines that were planted out last weekend.

I then got to work on earthing up my potatoes (again) as they have grown rather splendidly!



More weeding in bed 1 - the onion and garlic bed. I now have an onion hoe which is a godsend....


Looking good!


Now to Sunday and plot 121.

I bought copious amounts of manure, well 8 80 litre bags to be precise, so that's alot of poo, at great expense - I meant bargain price including delivery by the lovel Arthur, from the trading hut, and Nigel kindly filled the two raised beds built by my the same Nigel last weekend......

Bed one I filled with my 18 Strawberry plants purchased from a nearby nursery - well actually I bought 20 but there was only room for 18 so 2 went to plot 144 later on that same day. I was advised to cover the beds with black sheeting, which fortunately I had already and fitted the job perfectly, so that went on top of the manure and then a diagonal was cut at various carefully measured (luckily the black sheeting had large squares marked on it already!) out places and the strawberry plants went in. Some of them already had large green strawberries on them so I had to be careful.

Topped with a mulch mat & netting also, I can't fail!




Now to continue on 121. I raked, raked and raked some more. I created 2 beds just in front of each of the raised beds.

I then went back on forth from 121 to 144 for tools, spade & fork, then I realised I needed this that and the other, so about 5 trips, with a loo stop and a cup of coffee later, and I had everything I needed - including some plants!

So in went some butternut squashes, some All Green Bush courgettes and a couple of Marrows.

I then dug each plant a large hole. This hole was filled with poo, oh sorry, manure, and popped in a plant.

Eh Voila! Plot 121 is begining to look "officially" like a plot at last

After getting back all my bits and bobs to 144 and I quick trip home, I returned to the plot to put in my final Tomato Roma's which I have companion planted with some French Marigolds.



All this planting out has meant that the greenhouse is looking a little "empty" which is quite sad, but it also means that I can now pot on my cucumbers and one of my aubergines which is going to stay greenhouse bound.

OH!! I nearly forgot to mention - after going home for an hour to relax and refresh myself, I returned to the plot (144) to harvest my first salad. This consisted of Salad leaves, mizuna, rocket, some coriander leaves and some freshly picked radishes - with a home made dressing of olive oil, white wine vinegar with garlic & a leg of roast chicken, we had a feast!

Our first allotment dinner of the year.

It's already Monday now, and I have just heard the weather report - 27 degrees today with hot sunshine from around 9am to 4pm when the thunderstorms arrive.

I better get down to the plot and make sure the greenhouse is all watered well if it's going to be that hot later!!!!!

2 comments:

Rowena... said...

I love your gnome "Potty" and boo on the RHS for banning them. What you've accomplished so far in the lotty is just fantastic, but I do hear you on the weeds! I usually pick an entire 80 liter sack (the ones that once held potting soil) full of weeds each week, and down they go to the recycling dropoff to be turned into who knows what. I look forward to your first strawberry crop as it is one plant that I would have loved to add to the garden had I enough space!

Kella said...

Your plot is looking great, you sure got a lot done.