Thursday 22 May 2008

Preparing the Runner Bean bed on 144

Plot 144
After finishing of the small 1ft. area that backs onto Paul's plot (where the shed will eventually go) I decided that as this area was originally intended for the runner bean wig wam I had better find another area to cultivate.

Unfortunately I hit a small problem! Yes, I got "Forked". As you can see, I must have hit something solid. As I was a Girl Guide in my youth, I decided to crack on and after having found a new location, I started to clear a large enough area for the Runner Bean Wigwam to go.

This is the humble begining of the Runner Bean Bed

Fortunately for me - Derek - one of our lotty heroes came to my rescue with his ancient mis shaped spade and after a can of Ginger Beer and 2 penguin chocolate biscuits that I just happened to have in my handy little lotty bag, he "Dug for Ali"

This is Derek - an amazing man who has so much energy in him and is adorable as you can see.

After Derek dug, I pulled out the old roots that had surfaced and worked the lovely "virgin" soil to a fine tilth, and the picture below shows the end result.

Shortly after I had finished (I spent around 4 hours there in total this afternoon) Carl - another of our lotty heroes - popped through the gates and started to discuss, not only the chopping up of the tree trunks etc. now that Nigel - yet another lotty hero - is feeling better (dodgy back) but also the burning of what is there as he now thinks its dry enough, so that will make a HUGE difference to me and to plot 144.


We are so so lucky at Stanley Road Allotments to have the likes of Derek, Carl, Nigel & others "The Lotty Hero's" who very generously share their wisdom, time and knowledge with us fledgling lotty people. I can never thank them enough.
I only hope that one day I will be able to return to them, the favours that I have recieved so far.

No comments: